Screen freeze!

ivesy 12:17 PM 31 Dec 12

Can anyone help please?

Switched PC on this morning and got to the main windows tiled screen but then the screen has just frozen. I can't use any of the on screen commands using the mouse and the only thing I can get is the options from pressing ctrl alt delete. I've tried shutting down and restarting and leaving the PC for a couple of hours but no change?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

ivesy 13:09 PM 31 Dec 12

No sidebar doesnt work.

tried ctrl and f8 but i just get the boot menu. This happened a few months ago but i can't remember how i put it right.

rdave13 14:48 PM 31 Dec 12

Does the mouse cursor work in the Start screen? If it does try hovering over the desktop app then press the Windows key then left click. See if you can get to the desktop. There's a weather app that causes this, I've read, can't remember the name but remember it starts with 'A' I think.

ivesy 14:57 PM 31 Dec 12

Hi tried that and managed to get to the desk top. The sidebar still not working though. I think the weather app was pre installed.

rdave13 15:33 PM 31 Dec 12

In the desktop right click the task bar and select task manager. Select File, then Run New Task. Type cmd and check the box to give admin privilege. In the command prompt type sfc /scannow and let it run. See if it corrects some errors. You might need to run it a few times. See if that helps.

ivesy 15:46 PM 31 Dec 12

Rdave13 just trying that now thank you.

Jock1e, where's the start bar?

ivesy 16:03 PM 31 Dec 12

With file manager open did a search for msconfig. Ran it and booted in safemode.

Then i went back to msconfig and booted normally. Everything seems ok.

Thank you both for the help

rdave13 22:12 PM 31 Dec 12

Thanks for the feedback. Though, why that worked is a mystery. :)

ivesy 15:15 PM 02 Jan 13

Nope it hasn't!

Switched PC on today and the tiled screen is frozen and unable to get sidebar icons.

By pressing windows key and left clicking mouse i can get to the desktop then onto file manager to get configsys and reboot in safemode.

I was able to do a system restore and after the reboot the screen is still frozen! Really struggling to understand what is going on, i wish i'd stuck with windows 7!

Any ideas?

ivesy 15:23 PM 02 Jan 13

Managed to get the desktop and a message says it was unable to complete the process??? I'm trying a different restore point and if that doesnt work i'll try this 'advanced' method it mentions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know