Scammer has disabled our security systems on desktop after he was given remote control(!!)

orangeclaw 15 Sep 12

Scammer was given remote access to our computer - then put a password block on restarting and said we had to pay £170 for 'microsoft' package to clear 'viruses' before we could restart with his help! Computer was shut down and I managed to restart off F12 key and restored to earlier point. All security systems were disabled by scammer (Windows and Bitdefender), now they will not activate again!! any ideas? Thanks.

rdave13 15 Sep 12

Personally I'd backup all my documents, favourites and emails, etc checking them for malware, then I'd do a fresh install. I would also change all my passwords as the scammer had access to all your info on the machine.

orangeclaw 15 Sep 12

Right, we've changed passwords. Now have Windows security and Bitdefender working and giving green light. Did full scan with Bitdefender and nothing showed up so hope that's it. Thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message