Saving Files copied from Network

Compassion 02:24 10 Apr 07

I keep a lot (~15000) of files, mainly html, archived in various folders on a Windows 2000 computer. When I set up my new machine (Vista Home Premium) I transferred all of these via my network. I saved them in a folder under Users>MyName. I can open them, but I can't save them, even using notepad rather than my usual text editor. I receive a message: "Could not save file: path> Save under a different name? Yes/No" If I click yes, I can save the file under a new name. I have no problems with files I've created on my new computer, and I'm sure it's a permissions issue, but the files/folders aren't marked read-only, and I have all permissions except "Special Permissions" checked. I'm logged in as an administrator (yes, I know it's wrong!)

Any ideas where I can find/change permissions or settings, preferably in bulk?

Thanks,

H

kinger 21:31 13 Apr 07

I too had this problem but found that I had both windows open. The source and the destination.

I could open the destination files but not save them under that name.

So I deleted all the copies and re-transferred to a different destination than the previous one and, this time, closed the source path.

I was then able to open and save my newly copied files.

Compassion 00:00 18 Apr 07

thanks for your suggestion, kinger. I checked, but unfortunately that wasn't the cause of my problem. Actually, I still don't know the cause, but if anyone else has similar problems, some people suggested possible solutions (click here) on this Microsoft discussion group. I eventually copied all the files from vista to a FAT usb drive, then back to vista, removing the existing permissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017