Safest Web Browser

shaneoneill 22:57 04 Sep 08

what is THE safest browser for Windows (XP or Vista?) can put up with the slowness, just want a good clean browser not suseptable to viruses or any other junk that slowly kills your PC over time .. I heard Opera is good, anyone?

theDarkness 02:21 05 Sep 08

all browsers have risks as they are all designed for viewing the same web formats, but you can customise most so that they do not install or download certain files automatically, preventing any possible risks. Obviously the more popular the browser then thats where the hackers are going to focus all their efforts looking for weaknesses. for a reliable non IE browser you could use either mozilla firefox, or opera, as they are fairly customisable and can do everything explorer can or more. As long as you have a good anti virus program+firewall program installed (eg norton security which has both) and stay away from untrustworthy areas of the web, then youre relatively safe. An advert blocker is also a good idea- I use spybot which can scan your system for unwanted junk, and spywareblaster which can check for diallers, browser hijackers and adware, all of which can be found on dodgy areas of the web and downloaded accidentally without consent

shaneoneill 04:15 05 Sep 08

but is it not true that anti virus software slow down your PC and internet speeds? also are Macs prone to viruses? I've heard they hold up pretty well ..

J B 08:40 05 Sep 08

Browsers are as safe as the person who is using them. If you use common sense and stay away from dodgy sites you should be safe.

I have one question though, are you trying to run your PC without anti virus software or firewall installed? If you are you are playing a dangerous game. This software doesn't slow your computer down as it runs in the background, although it will slow your PC down a bit when it scans. You said that you can put up with the slowness so why worry. J.B.

DippyGirl 09:00 05 Sep 08

McAfee SiteAdvisor will help identify if a site is good/bad/unknown for Firefox click here
As JB says the person using the browser (which ever one it is ) has a lot to do with things
Anything you run on your PC will use resource ... including malware which does alot more than slow things down. You can get quality AntiVirus/Firewall/AntiSpyware for free or pay for the bells and whistle versions. If you venture onto the web without no protection , its just a matter of time

skidzy 12:52 05 Sep 08

Best security is just as J B says.

Browsers are as safe as the person who is using them. If you use common sense and stay away from dodgy sites you should be safe.

However,for a reliable,quick and stable browser-Flock is very good.This is based on the Firefox engine but leaner.click here

And to make this more secure you can disable Javascript and Java,little problem you may have,is some of the sites you visit will not display correctly and will need javascript and Java enabled.

If this was in Firefox same thing applies with its configuration relating to its security,however you can then add the addon IETAB for those pages that will not display correctly.

There is plenty to like about Firefox/Opera/Flock over IE in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…