Restoring Internet Explorer in Vista Home Premium

Pineman100 09:39 12 Jan 08

A friend recently asked an "expert" to help him with some computer problems. Having sorted out the problem, the expert told him that he shouldn't be using Internet Explorer. He disabled IE and installed Firefox instead.

I know that many on this forum would agree with this decision, but my (elderly) friend wants to go back to using Internet Explorer.

I use XP, and to re-enable IE I would simply go to Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components. But I can't find this function in Vista. I can find Turn Windows Features On or Off, but that seems to be something different.

How can I re-enable IE under Windows Vista Home Premium, please?

Many thanks for any advice.

razzledazzle 10:02 12 Jan 08

On xp you could reinstall windows componoents off the install disk itself. Have you tried putting the vista disk in and trying to add internet explorer off that?
Or you could download it from the website?

brundle 10:21 12 Jan 08

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs

Pineman100 10:38 12 Jan 08

Thanks to both.

Razzledazzle - my friend says he doesn't have a Vista system disk. Only a Dell recovery disk. I'm not sure whether it's possible to repair/reinstall just one Windows component from this. Do you know, please?

Brundle - I suspect this is going to be more than just re-setting IE as the default browser. It no longer appears on the list of installed programs, so my friend needs to re-install it, or at least repair it.

Any ideas please?

razzledazzle 10:42 12 Jan 08

I'm pretty sure the dell disk is the same as a windows disk could be motherboard disk though, i'm not sure as i don't have a dell pc. Try putting the dell disk in a browsing the disk, if there's nothing on there for i.e download it, which is probably the easier option ?

Jake_027 10:59 12 Jan 08

Internet Explorer doesn't appear in my programs either, I think thats only IE7 on XP. Have you checked to see if the iexplore.exe file is still in C>Program Files>Internet explorer? If it is just recreate the shortcut, I'm pretty sure it is integral to windows and can't be uninstalled. If it isn't there, then there might be problems.

brundle 11:15 12 Jan 08

Using Vista here, and IE doesn't show in Add/Remove Components, probably as it's an integral part of the OS, as IE6 is in XP - `removing` IE6 from the components list in XP doesn't get rid of it, it just removes the shortcuts.

brundle 11:15 12 Jan 08

Go the start orb, type

iexplore.exe

press return.
If IE7 appears, it's not been removed or disabled.

Pineman100 11:35 12 Jan 08

That's a tremendous help. I think I now have enough info to be able to tell my friend what to do.

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…