Replacing a Power Supply Unit

catpwss 17:33 PM 22 Mar 13
Answered

Hi.I have a desktop PC running windows 7 home premium,The PSU fan has been playing up for a while. Now and again it makes a terrible noise as if the bearing has gone I switch off then restart its okay then for a while. So decided to get a new one,Question do the new ones come with all the cables that are coming from the PSU to the HDD etc,Not sure what wattage of the one that fitted now,But what would be the best option to go for and looking for a quiet fan. The desktop is just a normal PC I don't do any gaming,Just everyday stuff internet emails printing photography. Any assistance here Please.

Many Thanks.

northumbria61 21:05 PM 22 Mar 13

Before you go spending money remove the PSU (usually 4 screws) to check that the fan blade is not catching on the metal guard. This happened to me once. After removing the 4 screws holding the PSU in place you will be able to slide it out - then remove the small screws on the fan guard and slightly bend it out -ie away from the fan blade. You can always check it before replacing the PSU screws. Worth a try if you are sure that this is where the noise is coming from.

catpwss 08:59 AM 23 Mar 13
Answer

Many thanks will have a look at that later on today.

thank you.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone