Replacement HDD for Acer aspire not formatting

JustinRead 22:32 27 Dec 14
Answered

My HDD has failed and I have tried to replace it, but the BIOS doesn't seem to interact with the new HDD. I don't have anykind of back up of Windows 7 so I downloaded a bootable version onto a USB memory stick. This goes through the process of installing windows and formatting the new hard drive, but I then get an error message stating that windows cannot be installed onto the disk. If goes on to say that the computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk and ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS. I see nothing in the BIOS to enable the disk's controller. Is there anything else I can do? The computer is an Acer Aspire 5745DG with a no intel core i3-370m processor. I don't know much about the hard drive, but it was sold as a replacement for this computer model.

mole1944 06:18 28 Dec 14

I'm not up to speed with windows 7 bios but can you do a default setting for it,also slave your drive drive to another machine and format it.As for windows 7 install disc phone Acer and they will send you a replacement disc(s),their could be a charge but that should help,i had to phone HP for a set for a friend and that cost £30ish as far as i remember.When you've installed everything make backup discs as you were supposed to,and get Acronis or similar and make a clone of your drive say once a month so that next time it will be an easy fix and not a hassle.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 28 Dec 14
Answer

Pleas stick (green tick this one) with the one thread in the helproom to avoid confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5