Remote desktop connection

bturner 12:18 07 Oct 14

Hello, I am using Windows 7 home premium, service pack 1.

Yesterday I was offered help in setting up a Virtual Proxy Server for my trading platform, I had to go to, Start, all programmes, accessories, remote desktop connection and a box opened up, I had to input a string of numbers and dots and the given password, I had to then change the password which I did.

I was asked for the password from the person who set up my platform on the VPS. I gave it to him.

I have tried to change the password again but it will not let me. I have changed the password on my trading platform. Is someone able to open up my remote desktop connection box and view programmes/files etc on my PC?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 07 Oct 14

Normally you have to select remote access and a password is required at both ends.

but if your not happy then just disable remote accesss for the present.

Right Click Computer –> Properties

On the left hand menu pane, select “Remote Settings”

Under Remote Desktop, Select Do not allow connections to this computer

spuds 14:59 07 Oct 14

I think a bit of caution is needed here, because I found out by accident that giving a third party access may lead to future concerns.

Secret-Squirrel 15:38 07 Oct 14

"Is someone able to open up my remote desktop connection box and view programmes/files etc on my PC?"

No they can't. Because you're running the Home version of Windows 7, no one can connect to your computer using Remote Desktop. You can connect to other PCs running the Professional (or better) versions of Windows but not the other way around.

PS: For the reasons I've already mentioned, you won't find FB's Remote Desktop options on your PC ;)

bturner 06:56 08 Oct 14

Thank-you for the really helpful answers.

Great information secret squirrel and just to put my mind at rest I have followed those instruction fruit bat and unticked "Allow remote assistance connections to this computer".

Secret-Squirrel 08:59 08 Oct 14

Remote Assistance is something very different but it won't hurt to untick that option.

bturner 06:10 14 Oct 14

Many thanks Secret-Squirrel for clarifying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017