Readyboost

mammak 20:45 08 Nov 07

Just installed a 1GB SD card solely to see if Ready boost works! I have Windows Vista Business edition with 2GB RAM installed I as yet have not noticed much difference although I haven't used any resource hungry Programs as yet such as Office 2007 which I would imagine would be the most resource hungry on my system
my question is do I leave the SD card in when I shutdown and reboot? excuse my stupidity but I think it comes from the early days at College where you should never have left a floppy or CD in the drive!

thanks.

skidzy 20:59 08 Nov 07

Hiya Ma :-)

click here

click here

click here

Im not convinced its such a big success as some say,though some agree its a waste of time.

Ive tried it and not noticed any real difference,however i have not stressed the machine.

This an interesting link click here

mammak 21:08 08 Nov 07

Hi I am inclined to agree with you I have just gave it the ultimate test opened a Database and linked to an Excel file the performance was no quicker than before that was typically about 5- 7 secs so I might just give it a miss!

I only hope now I can reuse the card in my Digital camera I did not reformat so I hope I can use it again :-) cheers skidzy.

skidzy 21:11 08 Nov 07

Just format the card in the camera Ma,not the pc.And the card should be fine.

mammak 21:18 08 Nov 07

I will do that cheers hun x

they say use a 1:1 ratio, but the example was 512m ram and 512 m flash. it caches to the flash drive and still writes to the hdd so it works with or without it, it's just you will lose the benefit? if any without the flash in. if you have 2 gb it wont do anything IMHO.

anskyber 07:31 09 Nov 07

This is a particularly interesting test article on Readyboost/Prefetch. click here In effect it says that beyond 2 Gigs of RAM the improvements are marginal.

It's also important to know that not any old flash memory will do, so normal camera flash for example will not necessarily be effective. The card needs to have fast read/write speeds over all it's range and be capable of rapid repeats. Some new flash is now marketed as optimised for Readyboost to deal with that point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…