Re-installing Windows & on an SSD then Windows 10

tallboy 21:09 09 Jun 15

I have a 6-year old Eclipse Desktop PC currently running 64-bit Windows 7. Over the 6 years I have had it, the OS has inevitably slowed down. It also has a few un-explained operating 'quirks'. I now wish to install an SSD for the Windows 7 OS & programs. Rather than clone my existing Windows 7 OS (and all it's quirks / slowness) I plan to install Windows 7 from scratch followed by the applications. Is this an advisable decision? (I have the original install disk.) OK, it will take a lot longer - but I'm retired, so have time to do it. All my data is on a separate drive, so I don't have to move that - just link to it. I also intend to upgrade to Windows 10 later in the year, so don't want to risk a 'dirty' Windows 7 install prior to upgrading.

What will I need apart from the SSD & a 3.5" cradle to put it in? Will the SSD have the same connection socket as my current 6-year old, or do I need a new cable? If so, what?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Tallboy

rdave13 00:22 12 Jun 15

tallboy, I did a lot of work tonight to answer your question. I included a few links to aid and confirm my help. Unfortunately even shortening the links made no difference to this site, thinking I was a spammer. I have reported this to FE.

rdave13 11:34 12 Jun 15

I've tried again. Think its too many links in the post.

Images of Sata drive which I think you have, click here

rdave13 11:36 12 Jun 15
  rdave13 11:42 12 Jun 15

In device manager expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. In the list see if you have standard SATA AHCI controller showing and without errors. If not you will need to enable AHCI in the bios before installing.

Remove the old C drive and replace with SSD. Disconnect any other drives. Install Win 7. Most probably you will need to activate by phone.

rdave13 11:46 12 Jun 15

Once you've successfully installed then reconnect your other drives. You can check alignment click here.

rdave13 11:48 12 Jun 15

AS SSD will also show alignment in green top left. enter link description here

rdave13 11:54 12 Jun 15

I run my SSDs with hibernation off. Pros - save GBs on disc, fast and clean shutdown. Cons - no hybrid shutdown so booting slower. I also run with system restore off. Less read/write on the drive. I use images instead. A good optimizaton guide here and here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…