RAR files

conrail 14:09 14 Jan 14

been sent files with .RAR, I know I need to extract them but I have search for free programs for my win 7 64bit pc, I have downloaded and tried 7-zip and winrar but both ask for a password, which, I asume means I'll have to pay for a licence, can somebody please point me in the right direction to download a free unzip program that wont ask for a password?

FYourFlamingos 14:14 14 Jan 14

waka

conrail 14:20 14 Jan 14

thanks FYourFlamingos, there are lotos of options for waka but the nearest I get for unzipping is keka, do you have the web link please?

wee eddie 15:46 14 Jan 14

7zip can be free. However you have to search the site for the correct access button. The pay ones are the most obvious

BRYNIT 18:33 14 Jan 14

A .RAR file can be opened with WinRAR, WinZip or even 7-Zip. If you try and open any compressed file and it asks for a password it is the file that has been password protected. Contact the person who sent the file for the password.

wee eddie 19:07 14 Jan 14

BRYNIT: Well spotted

conrail 20:42 14 Jan 14

thanks for suggestions guys, the files came from work and have not been password protected but 7 zip and winrar keep asking for password, ignored password option in 7zip and it extracted file but with the 7z suffix, if .7z

alanrwood 20:50 14 Jan 14

BRYANT is right. The password applies to the file itself and it must have been password protected at the time it was archived. Maybe it was protected in error. Ask them to resend it and make sure it is not protected. There are password cracks out there as a last resort but be very careful of virus/trojans etc so check them carefully first.

lotvic 13:54 15 Jan 14

ßeta made me chuckle... LOL

specsavers for t'others.

conrail 10:41 16 Jan 14

Hi guys, apologies all round , sitting here red faced although I am innocent, sat here at work after spending yesterday trying to find why, not only me, but others couldn't open the files, they were password protected by person sending them although he stated he didn't realise he had put password in place, it was just one of those thing. I appreciate all your help, advice and time, again sorry and thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…