RAM Needed for Vista Home Premium?

tobyjug472002 11:09 02 Aug 07

Hi my aged Aunt recent bought a pc AMD Althlon CPU, with 1 GB RAM installed, also Vista Home Premium pre-installed ( Acer Make) Although it states on the box that there is 1GB of DDR11 RAM installed, what it doesn't tell you that 256 MB's are used for Graphics. I run XP myself, can anyone confirm whether or not 768 MB RAM will run Vista Home Premium...i think its a matter for Trading Standards myself, yes there is 1GB RAM installed but by using 256 MB for graphics seems to make her PC so slow, any ideas people?
Thanks in advance

Pine Man 12:00 02 Aug 07

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
WDDM Driver
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel

BUT what your aunt has is not really enough and you should consider another 1GB RAM.

I don't think that there is a case to answer as far as miss selling goes.

on my home premium box bought in feb it's 512 minimum ram but they have since changed this to the specs pineman has posted, to get just the operating system running at a workable pace you need 2gig and a graphics card really, im hoping this will change with sp1.

tobyjug472002 12:41 02 Aug 07

many thanks for your reply, i thought there would be insufficent RAM istalled, however with the machine being only 1 month old, it would invalidate the warranty if i opened the case and put some more RAM in surely. I am disgusted by the lack of co-operation from Acer (possibly a warning to anyone thinking about purchasing an Acer Product), they replied to my email regarding this but was undecipherable, all HTML Coding, couldn't make out many words, i would think my Aunts Contract would be with the Store (Tesco) that sold her it, its purely false advertising, to say 1024 MB RAM on box, yet when looking on their website, it does mention the 256 MB's utilized for graphics...anyone thinking of purchasing an Acer PC from Tesco should be aware of this, the item in question is the Acer Espire T180, very disappointed and frustrated by non-communication either from Tesco or Acer.

Thanks again

anskyber 12:48 02 Aug 07

Whilst I agree with Pineman concerning the chances of success with trading standards the fact remains the laptop does not meet the minimum system requirements for Vista Premium which has to be 1 Gig + 128MB of Graphics. Here's the link to MS confirming the requirements, waving it in front of Tesco may help. click here

Monument 13:07 02 Aug 07

The requirements quoted above are the 'recommended' spec.

The actual minimum spec is
* 800 MHz processor and 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for Super VGA graphics
* CD-ROM drive

Take a look in PC World or any online supplier and you will see tens of laptops with 1GB of RAM and on board graphics. You will be wasting your time and effort contacting Trading Standards.

i believe they have now changed that to the home basic click here due to aero using so much ram

tobyjug472002 13:27 02 Aug 07

sorry peeps, its not a laptop, i can maybe see Vista Basic coping with 512MB, but i would imagine Premium and its programmes are more 'hungry' for more memory? I personally think that 1GB is ample to run Vista, but when running other programmes (multi-tasking) i cannot see even 1GB being sufficient, it appears to me that shops etc., put the minimum amount of RAM in to sell the goods when in fact they know that it will slow down greatly when you are running other programmes?
Its quite annoying though that for this model it states on the box 1024MB DDR11 RAM, what it doesn't tell you on the box is that the onboard graphics is sharing the 1024MB, surely thats false advertising...dont quote me i'm not a lawyer!

Thanks

you could add a 7600gs quite cheaply which would help a lot, but it may void the warrenty. worth checking though. speaking of false advertising, i bought a 512mb pc with 6150le onboard graphics (256 shared) and vista ready stickers all over it! last july.

Pine Man 13:38 02 Aug 07

If you check with either Acer or Tesco I am sure you will find that adding RAM will not invalidate your warranty.

I have had many computers and none of the vendors have ever said that installing RAM affects the warranty.

tobyjug472002 13:46 02 Aug 07

thanks Pine Man, i agree its easy enough to install the extra RAM, its just the security stickers on the case that advise you if you break the seal your warranty is void...i dont doubt the PC will last well over the 12 month warranty period, its just annoying that Acer didn't feel the need to enlighten the general public, maybe someone who knows jack sh*t about computers, that the 1GB RAM is shared with the graphics.
Tesco's motto " every little helps" i think refers to RAM as well lol :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5