programs not responding

conrail 20:42 PM 29 Sep 09

using vista home premium 64 bit, amd phenom 8450 tripple core processor 2.10 Ghz, 500 mgb hd with 2 external hd's 4 gb ram suddenly started to get "program not responding" on just about every program I open, also appears to take ages to close down, all help and advice gratefully accepted

Kevscar1 11:16 AM 30 Sep 09

Have you tried cleanig the Machine CCcleaner is an excellent program Also when ws the last time you defragged.

mfletch 18:29 PM 30 Sep 09

Also run your antivirus program and antispyware programs to see if the computer in infected or not,

conrail 21:24 PM 30 Sep 09

thanks for reply Kevscar, have used ccleaner, also have ashampoo magical defrag 2 running in the backgrouns, again thanks mfletch, have also run avast, asquared spybot and adaware

Kevscar1 04:08 AM 01 Oct 09

How much space left on your harddrive. Try moving some programs to the external if it's getting full.
Also try running as administrater and see if they work then.

conrail 09:58 AM 01 Oct 09

thanks Kevscar, have moved everything from external hd to desktop, formatted drives and I am going through everything one by one to get rid of things I don't need, before doing this I had 36 Gb of 500Gb used, will try running as admin next time I get the problem and rerun the progam as administrator

Kevscar1 11:33 AM 01 Oct 09

Sometimes I forget to clean things up. Started cyberscrub and found I had 571.69Gb in the recycle bin. It's been running for 40 hrs now and only 90% done. Think I'll be a lot faster when it finishes

conrail 12:10 PM 01 Oct 09

thanks Kevscar, I will try that, I have two programs that do that sort of thing, ccleaner and ashampoo winoptimizer but I will try anything to improve my pc

conrail 20:43 PM 11 Oct 09

problem seems to have resolved so thanks to all for help and suggestions, I appreciate it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know