Professor Teaches ..... Windows Vista

thegreypanther 14:13 20 Apr 07

I had a look at my PC Advisor DVD disc today, and saw that it boasted of a Vista User Guide, - Video Walk Through. JUST WHAT I NEEDED thought I, having recently upgraded to Vista on a 64-bit PC. So I installed the program.
And, of course, it is yet another example of something that doesn't work in 64-bit Vista.

This inability of programs / devices to work with Vista is now getting beyond a joke. And for PC Advisor to package up a program to show one something about using Vista which ALSO doesn't work in Vista is just a bit much.
Anybody know of anything that DOES work in Vista?

anskyber 14:16 20 Apr 07

Lots. But the 64 bit version is hampered by the requirement to only use signed drivers.

Some examples. click here

Kate B 14:24 20 Apr 07

Yup, you're making it much harder for yourself by using 64bit Vista. I'm running 32bit Vista on a 64bit chip and have only had one driver issue so far.

thegreypanther 15:08 20 Apr 07

Thanks Kate B, - but Joe Public is being lured by all those adverts from Dell, Mesh, PC World etc. etc. to buy just such systems.
My own PC was put together for me by a local firm, who are pushing it hard as being one of their "top-of-the-range" systems.
However, it's annoying that PC Advisor issue a "How to use Vista" program on their cover disc that doesn't actually work in 64-bit Vista! I'll just have to read the book instead!

Kate B 15:19 20 Apr 07

Well, Joe Public should do his research. As should you. I agree, it's annoying that the PCA disc doesn't work in 64bit Vista, though - worth taking up with Richard, the coverdisc editor, I would have thought.

setecio 19:47 20 Apr 07

I wasn't aware that Dell was selling 64bit vista to home sutomers.

What machines are they selling it on ? I can't find any examples or references to it. Could you provide some links as I would like to see which machines they are installing it on. Thanks.

setecio 19:48 20 Apr 07

(No edit button, so I'll re-write with typing corrections)

I wasn't aware that Dell was selling 64bit vista to home customers.

What machines are they selling it on ? I can't find any examples or references to it. Could you provide some links as I would like to see which machines they are installing it on. Thanks.

ulrich 20:02 20 Apr 07

XP with new PCs.

Forum Editor 20:07 20 Apr 07

Home consumers can buy any machine they like from Dell, they don't have to stick to the home computer range.

That range does contain 64bit machines however - click here for starters, all running Vista 64 bit version.

setecio 21:10 20 Apr 07

There's no clicky on that post FE, can you repost it , thanks.

I'm aware of them selling AMD 64 machines, but does that always mean it comes with 64 bit windows ?

I hope your post doesn't point to these machines as there is absolutely no reference to vista 64bit as part of it or any possible problems.

As a 'sort of fan' of Dell (if you know what you're doing on their web site to get a good buy) , this would be a black mark, if they sell vista 64bit without saying clearly to the consumer that it is 64bit, as I cannot see any reference in the inspiron 1501 AMD Turion 64 x2 laptop (for example) where you can choose between the AMD® Sempron 3500+ and AMD® Turion 64 X2 TL50 , without any mention of 64bit vista.

setecio 19:24 23 Apr 07

Any links for the 64bit vista from Dell ?

I can't find any on the site. I know the AMD Turion 64 lap comes with 32 bit vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…