Problems with Youtube, iPlayer and other things

Martlet1960 11:17 AM 23 Mar 13

We are having problems with various Internet features on our laptop (HP Pavilion g series). We have Windows 7 (64 bit), and are using IE9. The problems started yesterday (just after installing a set of Windows security updates).

We can't use Youtube or iPlayer. With Youtube we get black screens instead of the videos, but no error message. With iPlayer, we get a message that Javascript has to be enabled, but active scripting is enabled.

I also can't open the security software (McAfee/BT Netprotect). When I click on the icon a blank white box appears, although according to Task Manager McAfee is running.

Other sites don't work, properly or at all, especially anything involving videos or pictures, also some sites where there are buttons to click on (no button appears, or appears but doesn't work). Google Maps doesn't work at all.

I don't know much about computers but I assume that this is most likely to be a problem with Javascript function. I wondered if it would help to instal the latest Adobe Flash player, but couldn't (the download button won't appear on the Adobe download page).

I assume it isn't a problem with video drivers because (i) the problem is more widespread than video and (ii) videos stored on the hard disk play perfectly.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Best wishes David

rdave13 19:16 PM 23 Mar 13

If you think it's Win update that has caused this problem then set it to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them , click here.

Try a system restore to before the updates and check again the update setting. See if the machine now works OK. If it's ok then you'll need to install the newest updates one at a time to see which one is incompatible with your set-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11