Problems with my new monitor

Gruntos 02:02 21 Apr 07

Thanks for reading this.

I have recently purchased a new laptop. The laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE41E running Vista Home Premium edition. Everything is working fine with the laptop.

In time I got a bit fed up with watching movies on the laptop, so I brought a widescreen monitor, a Samsung 215TW. The choice of monitor was determined by the number of inputs. I have connected my Xbox 360 using the component input. This works without any problem. The DVD is connected using the DVI-D input. Again this works no problem. The aim was then to connect my laptop via the VGA or RGB port as Samsung describe it. This is where my problems started.

I have connected the laptop to the monitor and there is no picture. I then run the self test program on the monitor and it says check the Analog signal cable. I've now tried two different VGA cables with the same result. I tried connecting the laptop to an old CRT monitor via the VGA port and this worked without a hitch. I've also tried fiddling with the nview options as my laptop has an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 graphics card without success. The last thing I tried was the Windows Mobility Center. Unfortunately this again failed to have any impact. The situation is rather frustrating.

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Forum Editor 07:45 21 Apr 07

of a driver issue about it.

click here to see if there's an updated driver for your graphics card.

keverne 08:05 21 Apr 07

I had this problem.

Try going into Control Panel, Personalisation, and listed under tasks should be 'Connect to a projector or other external display'.

That takes you to the Windows Mobility Centre where you can choose whether both screens are mirrored, extended, or external display only.

Choosing external should now enable the Samsung screen but automatically switch back to laptop when disconnected.

PS, it isn't a good idea to have two threads going on the same subject (Helproom). It causes confusion.

keverne 08:23 21 Apr 07

Sorry, ignore me. I just noticed you have already tried it.

Gruntos 16:45 29 Apr 07

Thanks for you suggestions.

I do apologise for multiple postings of this problem. I wasn't sure if the issue lay with Windows Vista or the graphics card. It would appear it was neither.

After searching on the Vaio forums website, there is an obscure setting in the VAIO Control Center (Centre) option that relates to external display detection setting (Start>VAIO Control Center>Display>External Display Detection Setting). Under this setting you need to ensure that the tick box (Change the external display detection method) is selected.

sep 22:12 23 Jul 07

Hi,
I had the same problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-FS295VP trying to use my SAMSUNG LE32N7 series LCD TV. Even though the problem has been resolved here, I had to do a couple of extra things to get it sorted - as have others.

This is a known issue with Sony notebooks and some patches must be downloaded and a setting changed on the notebook. To get it to work I installed the following upgrades from the Sony support site:
[url]click here[/url]
1) BIOS Update R0044J1
2) VAIO Event Service 2.3.00.08110
3) Sony Utilities 6.4.0.06290

The following setting is also required:

VAIO Control Centre --> Plug & Display --> UNCHECK Enable automatic output function i.e. DISABLE it.

Restart the Notebook. On having restart hit Fn + F7 to enable VGA output and the PC option should now be available from the source list on the monitor.

Hope this helps. Who would have thought so much would be required :eek: :confused:

Sep

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced