Problems Booting Laptop to Win7

Siralli 21:35 13 May 14

Medion Laptop E7214 – Running Windows 7

LT problems booting – occasionally and intermittent.

When booting up my Laptop it fails to load Windows and I eventually get: Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or Software change might be the cause.

This goes to a startup Repair screen and a board giving 2 choices and a countdown counter to auto choice

Launch Startup Repair (already highlighted) AND Start Windows normally

*At this point I am unable to use neither arrow keys to navigate to 2nd choice nor use the enter button. (A) As a consequence Launch Start-up repair auto starts once timer counts down – occasionally runs forever,(no actions processed) and will not allow cancellation.
The only way I can stop this is via the machine power switch off button….

(B) When Start-up repair does bring a result, I always have to resort to “restore” choice, after which I sometimes have to go through the same thing once again following a re-boot – and sometimes not – mystifying?

Can anyone advise on resolving this problem? Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Siralli

*I stated this as being occasionally and intermittent (above) as I do not ever know when this is likely to be the case when I boot up.

A week ago and following lots of fiddling about - doing a “factory re-set”,

I managed to get running again (took 2 days and many hours)

This problem has happened again twice during the last four days, but fortunately resulted in “restore” choice both times.

I am currently up and running, I have sanitised my machine to be on the safe side, but of course I know not when this will re-occur, which it surely will.

Thanks

BRYNIT 22:15 13 May 14

Possible corrupt files needing a restory to factory default or the hard drive is failing.

to check the HD. Right click on C drive and select properties/tools/error checking, check now and make sure automatic fix files system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors are ticked, click start it will tell you it will check the drive on next boot. Note: it can take a while to scan the drive depending on the size. If it finds faults with the drive it will take longer, if it finds too many faults it will freeze.

Siralli 22:47 13 May 14

Hi BRYNIT - and thanks for your response!

As you are aware from my post - I have already done a factory restore, and still get the same problem.

I will of course do a full disk check as you suggest - tomorrow, and have to hope that this doesn't throw up any disk errors.

There isn't anything in the bios settings or whatever, that could cause these sorts of problems is there by any chance?

I am only asking because when I first got this problem, some took a gander in there dabbling with the settings - don't know what, if anything - was changed though.

Thanks again and I will update with progress if any, after I have checked the disk.

Many thanks

Siralli

Siralli 19:32 14 May 14

Hi BRYNIT, I have completed disk check as per your advice and this has come up clear of any problems.

Being as the machine has booted up again without any problems - about five times this now (Touch wood) without problems booting, I shall have to wait and see if this boot problem disapears.

I suspect that it won't but we shall see!

I shall repost on this thread for further advice should this re-appear!

Thanks again

Siralli

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…