Problem transferring outlook .pst file xp to w7

motherlode 09:30 05 Aug 10

I'm in the process of transferring Outlook data from old xp laptop to new windows 7 for my hubbie (who knows even less than I do). Have followed microsoft's instructions (which worked fine for me earlier this year), as well as various other site's advice but everytime I import the new .pst file it simply loads up an empty inbox and deleted items folder. Also - each time I import the old data the new .pst file increases exponentially (I get multiple and I mean MULTIPLE inboxes...) until I have to restore it to its original state. I have checked the OUTLOOK compatibility is correct - I can only think it is a glitch casued by Windows 7 OS - can anyone shed any light? Thanks Di

T0SH 22:26 06 Aug 10

Easiest way i have found to do it is to install Windows Live Mail on the XP machine when it first runs it will automatically import everything from Outlook or Outlook Express, once this is done from within Live mail contacts export the contacts as WAB, and from witin the Accounts setup as iaf, then importing them both to the Windows 7 live mail setup should create the folder tree of Inbox Outbox etc to find the folder store location press the Alt key once and Use Tools, Options, Properties, Advanced, Maintainance, Store Folder,will display the path to the location ,browse to this location and repeat the process on the XP PC then copy and transfer to the Win 7 PC paste the contents into the appropriate folders

It is rather long winded but it does work

Cheers HC

mgmcc 08:44 07 Aug 10

Are you perhaps importing the .PST file from XP into Win 7 over and over again but never actually "opening" it? From Outlook's menus, select "File > Open > Outlook data file".

motherlode 09:01 07 Aug 10

Hi Tosh - thanks for that I'll give it a go. I believe that I have actually totally knackered the outlook programme anyway as now, when I try to import a .pst file onto the new outlook in W7, it simply says 'unknown error - please restart'! I have a newer version of outlook which I'm going to try too so watch this space.

T0SH 17:09 07 Aug 10

In my case I found that windows 7 live mail will appear to import the .PST file but once it was done you ended up with empty folders in the storage location

I spent days researching this problem and trying numerous suggestions gleaned from google searches

In the end copy pasting all the storage folder contents was the one that worked for me

I think it has to do with totally different file formats between outlook and windows mail

Cheers HC

mimosa418 11:30 08 Aug 10

I assume you have outlook installed in your new Win 7 machine. Find the location of the .pst file in Win by using search *.pst, then simply copy the file from XP to Win 7 overwriting the original file. open outlook on win 7 and your data will be there to view.

dms_05 10:13 09 Aug 10

Agree with mimosa418. It sounds as if the PST file originally used by Outlook on the W7 machine and the PST file you have imported from XP are not in the same location.

However I'd uninstall Outlook anf reinstall the latest version you have and then try again.

motherlode 10:48 09 Aug 10

Hi guys - thanks for all the input. Have already tried overwriting but no good. Now in process of installing outlook 2007 which Ihope will work!

I am Spartacus 12:59 12 Aug 10

The way I do it is to delete the outlook.pst file that is created the first time the program is run then copy your old one into the same folder. If you don't do that you can sometimes, but not always, end up with 2 version of all the folders.

old_codger 11:52 17 Aug 10

Hi motherlode,
I had similar problem with importing outlook.pst for Outlook 2003 from XP to Win 7 Pro. I seemed to have generated multiple Personal folders. I uninstalled & then re-installed Office 2003, and then individually did this for each Outlook folder item from XP to Win 7:

1. File menu > Import & Export >Export to a file >Personal Folder file (.pst) >Select file from list (suggest Calendar & work down list)>select & type the location and name of file e.g. E:\Outlook\Calendar(save type as Personal Folder files), tick 'Do not export duplicate items' >Finish >in the Create Microsoft Personal folders window, Remove the name 'Personal Folders' from the Name: box and then OK. The Calendar.pst file is then written to device. Repeat this procedure for all your folders. Most important, do not export duplicates and remove name 'Personal Folders' in final Create window.

2. Then recovering in Win 7 > File Menu >Import & Export >Import from another program or file >next and scroll down to Personal Folder (.pst) >next Select file to Import from device, tick Do not import duplicates >next, highlight folder e.g. Calendar, tick Import items into the current folder, then finish. The saved Calendar.pst file is read and items will appear in Calendar. Repeat same procedure for each saved .pst file.

I have done this several times for system rebuilds and it always works.

Hope this may help you.

johnmichle515 12:35 18 Aug 10

When you upgrade a computer running Windows XP to Windows Vista, Windows automatically imports any messages and contacts you have in Outlook Express to Windows Mail. (Outlook Express has been replaced in Windows Vista by Windows Mail.)

If you are not upgrading but want to transfer your Outlook Express messages to a computer running Windows Vista, then you need to transfer the messages manually or use Windows Easy Transfer.

If you are just transferring Outlook Express messages (and not all your other files and settings) from a computer running Windows XP, you may find it easier to use the manual method described here.
On the computer running Windows XP, do the following:

1. The folder that contains the Outlook Express messages is marked as a hidden folder in Windows. To view this hidden folder, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. Click the View tab, and under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

2. Locate the folder named Outlook Express. In Windows XP, this folder is located here by default: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{your Windows user identity number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

3. Copy the Outlook Express folder and all its contents to the Documents folder on the computer running Windows Vista. (You can store this copy of the Outlook Express folder in a location other than the Documents folder, as long as you remember where to find it.) For information about how to copy a folder, see Copy files to another computer.
On the computer running Windows Vista{7}, do the following:

1. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.

2. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

3. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.

4. Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory is selected, and then click OK.

5. Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)

6. Click Select Folder, and then click Next.

7. Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.

8. Click Finish.

For more information follow the links below:

click here

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…