Problem saving photos to external HD

wids001 10:27 23 Apr 10

In Windows 7 Home Premium, if I try to save photos to my external HD I get an Access denied box appear. However, if I save them to my internal "D" data drive I don't get this problem. I can then drag and drop them from "D" to my external drive without problems. Question is, why am I getting an "Access Denied" when I try to save directly to the external HD?

james105051 19:35 23 Apr 10

Try formatting the drive.

wids001 06:45 26 Apr 10

It is already formatted. As I said above I cannot save pictures directly to the drive (Access Denied appears) but can drag and drop them without any hasles.

QuizMan 09:46 26 Apr 10

It seems to work OK for me using Photoshop Elements and an external hard drive. What program are you using when attempting to save and can you provide the full error message?

It is possibly a user profile issue (but not sure why it allows you to save to an internal drive). Have you tried running the program as an administrator and, if so, does the problem persist?

peugeot man 09:59 27 Apr 10

Right click on external drive, select "properties", click on "Security" Tab,
check that you exist in the "Group or User Names" window.

Highlight your user name and ensure that in the "permissions" window you have full access.

If not click on "Advanced" and change permissions.

If you don't exist in the "Group or User Names", click "Edit" and add yourself and set your permissions.

wids001 09:30 29 Apr 10

Thanks Peugeot Man. I realised that it must have been something to do with permissions and for some unknown reason I didn't exist in the user names.

I amended this and then pressed okay for the drive to then go through each item (it took about 15 minutes) but once completed, bingo! I can now save directly to the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…