Problem accessing files on W7 PC

Jollyjohn 02 Oct 11
Answered

Hi

I have a couple of PC's in the house and one runs W7. I can access some folders, "recorded tv shows" but not others "My documents" from another PC running XP.
I thought I had turned off password protection on the W7 PC but I still get an access denied message when trying to open My documents. What should I be doing on the W7 PC to allow access to my files?

Thanks

chub_tor 02 Oct 11

Have you enabled File Sharing? See here

Jollyjohn 02 Oct 11

I believe I have enabled file sharing because I can access some file but not others. I have also shared a printer connected to this PC.

However if I go to Network on the W7 PC I don't see any other computers on the network, only the W7 PC.

chub_tor 02 Oct 11

Then you may have to take ownership of the files Click Here and Click Here

gengiscant 03 Oct 11

I found that trying to network the XP PC with the two Windows 7 PC an absolute nightmare, in fact I never did get it to work, so I switched the XP PC to Windows 7 which, surprisingly for Microsoft is very simple to network.

Some reading here: Good luck

Jollyjohn 03 Oct 11
Answer

I will mark this as solved even though it is not quite. I can access some files, share a printer and I can move stuff from the W7 PC using ftp to my Linux box.
I cant fathom why Microsoft have made networking from W7 to XP so tricky.

tomboard 05 Oct 11

Hi

Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network has three types of Sharing configurations.

HomeGroup Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network sharing.

Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.

Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security risks.

For best results log to each computer's System Screen and set all the computers to be on a Network with the same name while each computer has its own unique name.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message