Problem accessing files on W7 PC

Jollyjohn 11:23 AM 02 Oct 11
Answered

Hi

I have a couple of PC's in the house and one runs W7. I can access some folders, "recorded tv shows" but not others "My documents" from another PC running XP.
I thought I had turned off password protection on the W7 PC but I still get an access denied message when trying to open My documents. What should I be doing on the W7 PC to allow access to my files?

Thanks

chub_tor 11:50 AM 02 Oct 11

Have you enabled File Sharing? See here

Jollyjohn 14:23 PM 02 Oct 11

I believe I have enabled file sharing because I can access some file but not others. I have also shared a printer connected to this PC.

However if I go to Network on the W7 PC I don't see any other computers on the network, only the W7 PC.

chub_tor 16:23 PM 02 Oct 11

Then you may have to take ownership of the files Click Here and Click Here

gengiscant 09:59 AM 03 Oct 11

I found that trying to network the XP PC with the two Windows 7 PC an absolute nightmare, in fact I never did get it to work, so I switched the XP PC to Windows 7 which, surprisingly for Microsoft is very simple to network.

Some reading here: Good luck

Jollyjohn 11:03 AM 03 Oct 11
Answer

I will mark this as solved even though it is not quite. I can access some files, share a printer and I can move stuff from the W7 PC using ftp to my Linux box.
I cant fathom why Microsoft have made networking from W7 to XP so tricky.

tomboard 07:11 AM 05 Oct 11

Hi

Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network has three types of Sharing configurations.

HomeGroup Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network sharing.

Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.

Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security risks.

For best results log to each computer's System Screen and set all the computers to be on a Network with the same name while each computer has its own unique name.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…