possible to recover lost wi-fi password?

sudonym3 15:59 25 Apr 14

Hello

My Windows 8 laptop automatically connects to my (password protected) home wi-fi - ie. the first time I connected, I needed to input a password but for all subsequent connections, the password is stored so it just connects automatically.

I have since forgotten the password for the wifi, however. And the problem is, a friend is staying with me and wants to connect to the wi-fi, but I don't have a password to give him.

My question then is: is it possible to find out what my password is from some place on my laptop - that is, the password is obviously stored on my laptop as it connects automatically, but I don't know if it is possible for me to find out what it is... .

Hope the above question is clear and thank you in advance!

PS - the version of Windows I am using is 8.1 .

rdave13 16:18 25 Apr 14

Have a look at this video.

sudonym3 16:37 25 Apr 14

Thanks for the response. This doesn't help me however. I think this video must be for an older version of Windows 8!

When I right click on a network, I get different options to the person in the video, specifically I get the options:

Show estimated data usage Set as metered connection Forget this network

Any further advice?!

rdave13 16:43 25 Apr 14

Does not work in Win 8.1, so right click the wi-fi icon on the desktop and select open network and sharing centre. Select change adapter settings, right click the wi-fi adapter and select status. In the open window select the tab Wireless Properties (not the bottom properties tab) then another pane opens and select the security tab. There you can tick a box to show the key. Once copied then remember to untick the box again.

AroundAgain 09:45 26 Apr 14

I presume you have already looked at the back/underneath your router for the label that would give the original password etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…