Possible filesystem or windows corrupt?

frustratedn00b 00:00 27 Jun 16

Brief rundown. (Windows 10 operating system) attempting to save files through bootable usb Ubuntu

After use of my laptop, I put it into sleep mode and times during sleep it would turn on to install small updates and such before going back to sleep. Sometimes when my laptop wouldn't turn off after 30min or longer, I'd open up the lid and manually turn it off. It always booted up fine until last time I did it. When I turned it on, I started getting the infinite repair loop. I've googled many problems and it appears my Windows filesystem is corrupt.

I've attempted running a bootable USB version of Knoppix to try and back up my files on an external HD but it can't read my HDD. Any attempt to mount my HDD has been unsuccessful. I'm currently running ubuntu xenial through bootable USB.

Opening up GParted, it shows /dev/sda4 and /dev/sda5 with warnings. /dev/sda4 is my HDD/basic data partition. This is what I get when I pull up information.

**ntfsmstpostreadfixupwarn: magic: 0xffffffff size: 1024 usaofs: 65535 usa_count: 65534: Invalid argument Record 0 has no FILE magic (0xffffffff) Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Input/output error NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE! The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was made to NTFS by this software. Unable to read the contents of this file system! Because of this some operations may be unavailable. The cause might be a missing software package. The following list of software packages is required for ntfs file system support: ntfs-3g / ntfsprogs.**

Then I ran ntfsfix and got

[email protected]:/home/ubuntu# sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda4 Mounting volume... ntfsmstpostreadfixupwarn: magic: 0xffffffff size: 1024 usaofs: 65535 usa_count: 65534: Invalid argument Record 0 has no FILE magic (0xffffffff) Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error FAILED Attempting to correct errors... ntfsmstpostreadfixupwarn: magic: 0xffffffff size: 1024 usaofs: 65535 usa_count: 65534: Invalid argument Record 0 has no FILE magic (0xffffffff) Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error FAILED Failed to startup volume: Input/output error Checking for self-located MFT segment... ntfsmstpostreadfixupwarn: magic: 0xffffffff size: 1024 usaofs: 65535 usa_count: 65534: Invalid argument OK ntfsmstpostreadfixupwarn: magic: 0xffffffff size: 1024 usaofs: 65535 usa_count: 65534: Invalid argument Record 0 has no FILE magic (0xffffffff) Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.**

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:50 27 Jun 16

HAve you run chkdsk?

You need to boot from windows bootable media and run chkdsk /f/r/ on the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5