Please help, Pc going really slow, dont know what else to do!

richiek2013 19:56 08 Jun 13

Hello Everyone! Sorry to burst in here begging for help, but I need someone who knows a thing or 2 about vista as I am usually a Mac OS bod! Basically myself and the mrs use her Dell laptop to stream tv, movies etc, and the thing has worked great for a couple of years. 2 days ago things started running really slowly, qq/skype won't work, firefox is incredibly slow, and the streaming sites/software like pps just wont work at all. Even using an avi through vlc stops and starts and generally wont work.

Does it sound like it could have a virus? I have tried the basics, emptied the trash, cleared the windows log, stuff like that. It has 100 gb of memory left, so we just dont know what it could be, i am starting to think it needs a complete re install, or dropping from a great height!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Best,

Rich.

richiek2013 20:56 08 Jun 13

Thanks Jock1e! Im running Malware bytes trial as I write as it goes, so farit has 18 'objects' detected, but it's still running after 18 minutes. the hard disk is 150 gb so I think there should be enough free space, and every website we visit takes ages to load, so the speed is defo not right. Do you happen to know what this malware bytes will do? as in as ive been writing its found another 600 'objects'!! will it fix things or wil i have to pay them? :)

Cheers again anyway!

ionamartin123 21:05 12 Jun 13

Did you try running anti virus to find if there is any virus attacked your system? As the person above said, you can always go back to factory settings as it is available in Dell. Before trying out anything, have you got your important files stored in external HDD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…