PCIe 2.0 support

gossylad 22:34 02 Feb 10

I have an Asus motherboard M4A78 Pro (click here)

According to Asus websites info it states that it has PCIe 2.0 support.

However, is this support just for the x16 slot or is it for both x16 and the 2 x1 slots?

The PCIe x16 slot is marked up as 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1, whereas the x1 slots are just marked up as 2 x PCIe x1.

So does this make just my x16 slot 2.0 and my 2 x1 slots just at 1.0? Seems daft to have just one slot at version 2.0.

Need to know as I have a nvidia graphics card in my pcie x16 slot and have a usb3 pcie x1 card that I put in last week into my pcie x1. However, it will not mount my usb3 drive and the manufacturer has asked me if the pcie slots are version2.

OTT_B 09:53 03 Feb 10

Only the x16 slot is PCIe 2.0. The other 2 PCIe slots are 1.x

It may sound daft, but it's not unusual. Mostly depends on the motherboard chipset. The 2.0 slots are usually reserved for graphics cards which can require enourmous bandwidth.

gossylad 19:14 04 Feb 10

Thanks OTT_B

Yes, I was thinking only the x16 slot was version 2. Just wanted somebody to help confirm it for me.

In the motherboard manual it lists the x16 slot as PCIe 2.0 x16.

Whereas the 2 x1 slots are just marked as PCIe x1.

So that means I have only 1 pci express slot that is the latest version. Brilliant!

Now I had wished that I had checked the pci express slots on the motherboard when I had my old pc rebuilt last October!

GaT7 14:22 05 Feb 10

"Now I had wished that I had checked the pci express slots on the motherboard when I had my old pc rebuilt last October!"

Going by some recent USB3 reviews, it appears the x1 v2.0 slots made their appearance very recently, so it may well have been impossible to buy a motherboard with this feature last October. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…