Patch Tuesday Woes!!

Pine Man 18:24 11 Jun 08

Yesterday I had 7 updates for Vista, Windows mail, Media Center, IE7 and Activex Killbits for Vista.

All were downloaded and something screwed ny PC up rotten.

System restore is disabled on my PC but good old Acronis has saved the day but I am still faced with these seven updates!

Has anybody else had a problem?

If not I will have to try downloading them one at a time and see what happens.

anskyber 19:00 11 Jun 08

Sorry, all fine here.

chub_tor 19:21 11 Jun 08

I had 9 on one machine and 10 on another (these included Office updates), all installed fine, the wait after reboot was a bit slow but subsequent boots have been normal.

Pine Man 20:00 11 Jun 08

It was my b****y security suite!

I've trashed it and installed a new one and it seems to be ok.

Now I've got to pluck up the courage to install the updates.

Thanks for your responses guys.

i had to do a bit of playing as game guard v1 wouldnt start (wasnt allowed to) on albatros 18, was fine on other games though, apart from that all's well.
for the record it uses a hidden driver and 2 hidden processes, and behaves just like a trojan downloader, it has been out and used by masses for 5 years and m/s mrt doesnt seem to know about it!

crosstrainer 07:16 12 Jun 08

It's the Killbits one that causes issues with some security software.....You should be ok now.

sunny staines 09:11 12 Jun 08

pineman

what security did you have that caused problems?

Pine Man 10:08 12 Jun 08

It was Bullguard, which luckily was just about to run out so I ditched it.

I have just joined O2 for my BB and it has McAfee with it free of charge. It has been installed and all of the Windows updates installed as well and no problem - so far!!

Esc4p3 12:13 12 Jun 08

Ohh, that worrying, I have bullguard and have yet to install all of the updates :(

Pine Man 13:42 12 Jun 08

I don't want to worry you too much but after I had installed the windows updates it seemed ok at first and then I had a warning that Bullguard couldn't connect to its server, or something like that. This seemed to get worse and it was is if Bullguard was continually trying to contact the internet and this actually stopped it working so that, even though it appeared ok on my desktop icons, I was not actually connected. The only way to regain a connection was to remove Bullguard.

Esc4p3 20:45 12 Jun 08

Had a look on the Bullguard website, and it seems they have been working on a fix. I manually forced an update in BG just now and it downloaded a 'special' update that needed a reboot, that is the first update I have ever needed so I assume that may be some kind of fix for the issue. I have installed the 'Killbits' update and see how it goes, so far so good after 7 minutes.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now