Painfully slow startup with some strange characteristics

warthog01 23:52 14 Jul 14

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 Home Professional on my Dell Laptop. I've limited my start services to Windows, Fences, and Avast Free. Start is terribly slow--Up to login not too bad, but after I've logged in, the taskbar loads and absolutely nothing else happens until I double click on the desktop. Then I get an error message that MS Windows is not responding. When I end the process, the taskbar reloads and after a short delay, my fences and icons open up and the start sequence slowly comes up.

Bizarre and there's obviously something wrong--does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks

BRYNIT 08:28 15 Jul 14

Possible corrupt files. Go to start/all programs/accessories, right click on commend prompt and select run as administrator, type sfc /scannow this will check system files.

possible failing hard drive, scan hard drive for bad sectors.

Could be something that has been install/uninstalled over the time that has corrupted the registry. You could do a clean install back to factory default this will remove every thing and you will need to reinstall all updates, programs etc. remember to back up all of your documents first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac