Overworked Processor?

jimforrest 14:14 19 Oct 14

A couple of years back I bought my Samsung Laptop - running Win7, Quad Core, bags of RAM, to replace my old Acer laptop which continually overheated and shut down without warning. The Samsung was great, the fan ran on tick-over and I've been very pleased with it.

But - just recently the cooling fan has become louder because it's running all the time. Core Temp tells me that the Processor load is around 80-90% on all 4 cores even when the comp is idle! CPU temp is around 80degC - not hot enough to shut down but getting there. Whatsmycomputerdoing hasn't revealed anything astounding so I'm at a loss to understand why the change in the processor load. Most of the activity seems to be Win internal processes and Google Chrome. Should I remove and then re-install Chrome?

I'd like to get it back to where it was - any ideas?

jimforrest 14:34 19 Oct 14

I should point out that I regularly use Ccleaner to clear out the rubbish and several anti-malware and anti-virus progs to keep the computer clean.

spuds 15:09 19 Oct 14

If things are overheating, then consider a possible internal look and possible spring clean for dust or blocked ventilation etc.

I note that you have stated, "and several anti-malware and anti-virus progs to keep the computer clean". Are you running more than one anti-virus programme, and does all the 'anti' programmes you have installed, start on boot-up.

You also mention re-installing Chrome. Are you using other browser's, if so, what are they, and how are they performing.

jimforrest 16:13 19 Oct 14

Hi Spuds - everything that's non Windows is currently disabled on startup - all udaters, AV progs etc. Only Windows processes are left running. I only use Chrome (it works fine). As for a clean-up - I don't fancy taking it apart but I will if that's the only way to fix it. I've had a look on Youtube and it doesn't look too difficult.

My fear is that there's a rogue programme running and hogging the processor.

spuds 16:33 19 Oct 14

If you think that it is a rogue programme, and your other anti devices haven't picked anything up, then give ADW Cleaner or Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit a try. Here's a safe download link to MWB Anti-Rootkit click here

wee eddie 18:35 19 Oct 14

History seems to be repeating itself.

A can of compressed air is called for. If you're feeling poor, a hair dryer and a natural bristle paint brush will do the job. You don't really need to take it apart to shift the dust.

rdave13 19:09 19 Oct 14

Open task manager and keep it on your desktop for a while. Under options select 'always on top'. Move your browser to cover just over half way on your desktop and allow task manager the whole vertical length with all details showing. First I would keep an eye on the Processes running. Task manager will usually take a bit at first. Check the CPU list to see what's hogging it. 80 - 90% on idle means that something is continually running in the background.

What is the idle report showing? 20 - 10% ?

beeuuem 01:14 20 Oct 14

You could try Process Explorer click here which shows every mortal thing that is using the CPU. That will show you what is hogging all the processor.

jimforrest 18:20 20 Oct 14

Ran Anti-Rootkit but it found nothing, then ADWcleaner which cleared out some stuff (which I didn't recognise) and seems to have solved the problem - the fan is now silent again! ADW report is too long to paste here but this is the first part (up to Registry Shortcuts Deleted) -

Option : Clean

Services

Service Deleted : 70e6ca8c

Files / Folders

Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\GrabPro Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jim\AppData\LocalLow\HPAppData Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\optimizer pro v3.2 Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\orbitdownloader File Deleted : C:\Windows\System32\log\iSafeKrnlCall.log

Scheduled Tasks

Task Deleted : Digital Sites Task Deleted : Optimizer Pro Schedule Task Deleted : ProgramRefresh-ATFST Task Deleted : ProgramUpdateCheck Task Deleted : YourFile DownloaderUpdate

I might have been a bit too quick to run the clean-up progs so we may never know the cause of the fault. Now running Task Manager - CPU usage with a few browser windows open and Winmail running is 25%. On the Processes Tab it shows CPU - most are at 00, but System Idle Process shows 75 and PrintIsolationHost.exe shows 25.

Looks good so far chaps!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…