Open Office in W7 64 bit

johndrew 14:45 PM 28 Jan 12

I have been doing a bit of reading on the subject of Open Office used with Windows 7 and seen some people have experienced freezing/loss of documents.

I am in the process of moving to W7 64bit and my Word 2002 is unlikely to function properly so I am considering Open Office as a permanent replacement.

Does anyone have any advice, comment or adverse experience with Open Office 3.3 on this platform.

Thanks in anticipation.

difarn 15:25 PM 28 Jan 12

I think it has been successfully working on some windows 7 machines in XP compatability mode but they have had to transfer the file from their old machine for settings, macros, styles, etc.

I have colleagues who use Open Office with no problems whatsoever. It is compatible with other formats, similar in use to Microsoft Office and is free.

markd71 15:46 PM 28 Jan 12

Why do you think Word 2002 will not function properly ? It works fine for me on Win 7 64. Install it first before you determine it's going to be a problem...........

johndrew 16:02 PM 28 Jan 12

Many thanks for responding.

Hopefully Open office will function, but I shall try my old Word 2002 and attempt to get all the compatibility upgrades again.

difarn 17:05 PM 28 Jan 12

Here is a link to the relevant compatability pack for 2002 to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations that were created in the newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint should you find that you need it.

KRONOS the First 08:38 AM 29 Jan 12

I have Open Office on one of my Windows 7 64 BIT PC's and have not had any trouble whatsoever.

johndrew 10:23 AM 29 Jan 12

difarn and Chronus

Many thanks for the information and the link to the pack.

One quick question, given that Word 2002 was registered against the XP PC, is it likely I shall have a problem when it is installed on the W7 machine?

difarn 10:47 AM 29 Jan 12

According to this article you should be able to do that without any problem - Microsoft obviously recognise that people will want to transfer it at some stage to a new PC and usually allow 2/3 activations.

johndrew 12:36 PM 29 Jan 12

With luck all should be well then. Many thanks for your help.

difarn 14:02 PM 29 Jan 12

Glad to help - hope it all works out.

Woolwell 18:51 PM 31 Jan 12

Outlook is likely to be the problem with Office 2002. Word should be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016