Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

Heik100 21:31 23 Apr 15

Alright, i'll make it short but informative; i can't connect to the internet without an ethernet cable. I have tried pressing the laptop's "WiFi" button, but nothing has happened (The light didn't even change), i have tried rebooting and going into BIOS to see if there was on option there (nothing), i have tried going into Device Manager, and under "Network Cards" i got 4 options (I believe i had 4 options, though now i have only 3) first i tried to deactivate it and the reactivate it, but that just made it not work at all, and when i got home and got my connection back, i tried to update the drivers (which is when i noticed i only had 3, because i was at school when all 4 showed up, so i didn't have connection to update them) but it just said that they were all up to date, i have tried using the windows recovering tool to go back before the problem occurred (Though i did get an error the first time due to my AVG being up so it couldn't complete, but after that i tried doing it again with AVG off, but the situation didn't change), and i know the problem isn't with the router, as the problem occurs with different WiFi's. In the beginning, it would only say "can't connect to the internet" over and over again, but now it won't even show the available WiFi networks in the area.

Any help is much appreciated.

onthelimit1 08:46 24 Apr 15

The easiest thing to do would be to get a wireless dongle and use that to connect instead of the (probably) dead card. They are inexpensive - I've used these with great results.

Heik100 11:22 24 Apr 15

Well, even though that might be a solution, i want to first try out all methods for fixing it rather than just forgetting about that problem and working my way around it. And my guess is that my network card is not dead, and it's just a matter of getting the driver for my network card back (and if anyone can help me with that, that would be much appreciated, and if needed, ill try my best to provide necessary information).

But thanks for replying :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 24 Apr 15

Make and model of laptop, winows op system (XP vista 7 8 8.1) being used?

need to find wireless switch position or key combination to switch the card on and the relevant drivers for the card.

Heik100 12:38 24 Apr 15

Windows 7 64 bit

from the HP website's laptop model detection tool:

HP Pavilion g6-1340so Notebook PC Model #: A8W79EA Serial #: 5CD2032C98

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:24 24 Apr 15

Does the Wireless Led glow orange (off) or blue (on)?

No led could mean wireless card is disconnected or broken.

Heik100 16:53 24 Apr 15

The glows blue (on), though if i try and press it the light wont change, and neither will the connection (but it used to change)

Heik100 22:50 25 Apr 15

any other ideas? or should i just assume that the network card is dead and send my laptop in for repairs / buy a new one?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:56 25 Apr 15

I would try a simple remove and refit of the wireless card to see what happens.

they are normally fitted just under a panel on the underside of the laptop.

Heik100 01:46 26 Apr 15

thanks! i might give it a go later today or tomorrow.

Gordon Freeman 12:32 26 Apr 15

can't you just try and disable the network card, and then re-enable via Device Manager? (Right click My computer, or This PC>Manage>Device Manager).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009