Only 1 dvd drive showing out of 2 after win 8 reinstall?

simonsup 21:38 PM 09 Jan 13

Hi, Recently had to reinstall win 8 on my pc but only 1 dvd drive is showing in my computer and device manager. Tried uninstalling all the dvd drives in device manager hoping it would pick it up on the reboot but still only 1 is showing. Funny thing is if I leave the win 8 dvd in the drive and reboot they both show up, take the disc out and it disappears?? Help!

Thanks

alanrwood 13:28 PM 10 Jan 13

If it is the same as in Win 7 then look in Folder options\View and make sure Hide empty drives is not ticked.

simonsup 17:53 PM 10 Jan 13

Already tried that Alan... Thanks for the suggestion.

SillBill 21:21 PM 10 Jan 13

This solution is from Microsoft Community

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 modern UI and press cltr+shift+enter

2. Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

1. Reboot the system

2. Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Pine Man 11:30 AM 11 Jan 13

Had the same problem and, unfortunately, the only way I could fix it was with a full re-install.

simonsup 19:00 PM 11 Jan 13

I was talking to a man in a computer shop, he said its a common problem with win 8 plus both my dvd drives are both Samsung so one drive is treated as a ghost when empty, Hopefully Microsoft will resolve this soon

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay