oem disc from MS

sunnystaines 15:41 PM 20 Jan 13

if i have w8 pre installed, is there an option to get a oem dvd for a nominal price from MS as i would have paid for a licence as part of the pc cost.

Forum Editor 16:21 PM 20 Jan 13

Responsibility for providing you with a Windows installation DVD lies with the retailer who sold you the computer, not with Microsoft. A preinstalled OEM version licence doesn't include a DVD however.

Normally the Windows files are written to a hidden partition on the hard drive, and you run a system recovery routine if anything goes wrong. You shouldn't need an OEM disk, because you cannot install the software on another computer.

sunnystaines 16:27 PM 20 Jan 13

FE Thanks for the reply, I was thinking should the hdd go belly up, home made recovery dvd would not work unless it could access the original hdd.

I know a clone back up would be ok, but the OEM would have been handy, that option is now out.

aquatarkus 16:40 PM 20 Jan 13

Your computer should have the option to make a restore or similar DVD in case of hard drive failure etc.

As the FE said you can't use it to install on another PC but you could use it in case of a hard drive failure etc.

Regards Aquatarkus

rdave13 16:40 PM 20 Jan 13

I've reinstalled via the recovery discs on two Toshiba laptops and one Acer when their hard drives failed and were replaced.

Forum Editor 16:50 PM 20 Jan 13

rdave13

I think sunnystaines might find that - for the first time - there is no Windows license key sticker on his new machine.

rdave13 16:53 PM 20 Jan 13

Well that's new but not required if installing from the recovery discs?

aquatarkus 17:06 PM 20 Jan 13

Windows key is locked to the Bios, as long as he used recovery disks created from original installation won't be a problem. What make of computer is it, is it a laptop or PC?

regards Aquatarkus

sunnystaines 11:37 AM 21 Jan 13

thanks everyone did not know those facts still on the learning curv.

sunnystaines 17:11 PM 05 Feb 13

been told to get the windows key using 3rd psrty software that will disply it apparently belaric advisor does with w8. once you have the serial key MS will let you download a copy of w8 which you burn as a ISO image. which is more or less the same as a OEM disc.

rdave13 17:38 PM 05 Feb 13

Belarc doesn't show the correct key with the upgrade disc let alone an OEM version. I doubt very much you can get a third party software to reveal the correct key.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…