Not Enough Memory Question

Elmo Few 17:48 03 Jun 07

I work with photographs, specifically, turning photo's into artwork. This morning while resizing (8x10 to 33x25.5) I received a "Not enough memory....". I then went and deleted files from the startup and taskbar menus. The resize then worked but the task slowed to a crawl.

I'm thinking it is system memory that is needed, am I correct? Surely, my brand new graphics card is not causing this problem.

Ef

anskyber 18:11 03 Jun 07

Can you give us more info on your set up, eg installed RAM size.

Elmo Few 18:17 03 Jun 07

Here's detailed information about our system and its use.

System Specifications:
HP Pavilion m7750n Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Media Center TV PC

General Features:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor (2.6 GHz)
2 GB DDR2-533 RAM (4 GB maximum)
400 GB SATA hard drive
Serial ATA DVD±RW LightScribe DL drive
Digital media card reader
ATI Radeon Visiontek 256mb X1550 Graphics card.
Integrated GeForce 6150LE graphics
Integrated audio
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
56K data/fax PCI modem[/list]

[b]Associated Hardware:[/b]
Samsung Syncmaster 206bw 20" Monitor
Canon PIXMA ip4300
HP OfficeJet 6110
HP ScanJet 3500C
Epson Picture Mate
Nikon D70S
Generic 2.1 Speaker System[/list]

Our PC is used as follows:
General Internet browsing
Email
Non-Professional Photo processing
Non-Professional Mixed Media Artwork creation and printing (non-animated, non-motion)
Play a card game or two, nothing heavy
Listen to music
Watch TV (limited use)
Household administration

Forum Editor 18:26 03 Jun 07

and a fast processor, but big image files make heavy demands on both processor and RAM. Moving and/or resizing images requires a lot of processing power, and it sounds to me as if that image was a big file.

Which application were you using at the time?

anskyber 18:32 03 Jun 07

In Vista the default for virtual memory or page file is a min of 1.5 times the size of your installed RAM. The max is 3x.

To see what you have open Control Panel, System and Maintenance, choose Performance Information and Tools, Advanced Tools, (in the task pane on the left) then "adjust the appearance and performance of windows.

After the UAC agreement to say yes to there will be the performance options dialog box. choose the advanced tab and click change.

anskyber 18:33 03 Jun 07

PS, the FE comment re file size was a point I failed to make, by the look of it your were processing a very, very large file.

Elmo Few 11:25 04 Jun 07

The problematic file was 897.3 MB. I have since reduced the physcial size to 25"x20" thus reducing the file to 515 MB.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ef

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…