No toolbars on IE11 Win 8.1

ChrisAnnSen 06:51 03 Feb 14

We've just bought a new computer installed with Win8.1 and IE11 but there are no tool bars on Internet Explorer - the menu bar which usually says 'File Edit View etc.', no search window either - just an url window.

We've tried F11 and pressing the Alt key which, I understand is necessary on Win 7 but still the toolbars don't appear. IE11 is useless to us as it stands at the moment so we've installed Firefox but I was wondering whether anyone knows how to sort out IE.

Secret-Squirrel 09:26 03 Feb 14

ChrisAnnSen, it sounds like you're using the newfangled Windows 8 "app" version of IE. To give you access to the more familiar "desktop" version, do this:

On the Windows 8 Start Screen (with all the big coloured tiles) right-click the Internet Explorer one then click on the "Pin to Taskbar" option at the bottom of the screen. Switch to the Windows Desktop and you'll see a big blue E icon on the Taskbar and that'll launch the version of IE you want.

ChrisAnnSen 22:26 03 Feb 14

Thanks so much S-S - your suggestion works. :) I've Googled and searched but nobody else has come up with this solution. Many thanks indeed.

And Jock, once I'd got the correct version I then followed your instructions and everything is back where it should be. Thanks too. :)

Secret-Squirrel 09:58 04 Feb 14

Thanks for returning with some feedback.

By the way, you don't have to put up with some of the other Windows 8 apps such as "Mail" and "Skype" as there are Desktop versions of those too. Get back in touch if you need any more help.

ChrisAnnSen 22:54 04 Feb 14

Thanks SS I'll certainly be back - especially as I have yet to sort out Skype. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…