No internet access, network only

bras0978 10:57 23 Aug 07

I have a work laptop with Vista Business. I took it home the other night and connected it to my wireless network. It connected with no problems and the network status indicator said I had both local and internet access. However, when I tried to view internet pages (or log in to MSN messenger), it would try for about 5 minutes and then say that the page could not be displayed.

I have used XP work laptops at home with no problem, and the only change I've had to make is unticking "use proxy" in the LAN connection settings. I've unticked it on this machine, but still no joy.

My desktop machine on the network can access the internet with no problem, and the Vista machine can log in to the router's admin pages. When I ask it to diagnose the connection, it says there are no problems.

Please help, I can't see what's stopping the pages from loading.

Thanks

Yogie 11:54 23 Aug 07

I had the same problem with Vista Home Premium.
Did you untick although "automatically detect settings? I did that and problem solved, you may restart.

bras0978 12:14 23 Aug 07

Hi Yogie, thanks for your reply. "automatically detect settings" is not ticked. The settings (as far as I can see) match those of my XP machine which works fine. There might be some Vista option somewhere that I don't know about - for example, I disabled Windows Firewall to see if that was the problem. I still can't get pages to display.

Yogie 14:44 23 Aug 07

bras0978,
try this ,go to connect to a network,right click on your connection,click properties,click properties in the new window again, you see" name service providor" I left it blank and it works.
Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac