New Vista Install Query

Demora 16:31 20 Jan 09

Hi.

I have a Novatech laptop which is capable of running windows vista Ultimate.(Core 11 duo T5 something and 2 gig Ram) So Seeing a good offer on click here with a 'Free' Samsung 1TB hard drive. I bought said items.

My query is: Can I install Vista alongside xp pro. Until I have found all the drivers for Vista. ie in a partition. I know that some of my software may not work in Vista either.

BTW I'm not worried about losing anything on the laptop as all docs/pictures are backed up.

Any tips and tricks would be gratefully recieved.

TIA

Demora.

crosstrainer 08:28 21 Jan 09

Yes you can:

click here

Follow the instructions carefully, and make sure you choose the "advanced" install option for Vista. This allows you to choose the correct partiton (the one you create using the instructions) Choosing the default will overwrite your xp installation.

Demora 14:33 21 Jan 09

Thanks for the link crosstrainer. I'll give it a go tonight as theres nothing on the tv.

BTW the 1TB hdd is for the computer I shall be building next week.

D

crosstrainer 15:20 21 Jan 09

Plenty of space then :)) To be honest, I build with 2X 500GB these day's in case one fails, but hey, you got it free, I may take them up on the offer too!

crosstrainer 15:22 21 Jan 09

The deals off :(( Never mind, I don't really need a huge HDD anyway!

Demora 15:27 21 Jan 09

My new Motherboard has 6 SATA's so I shall put in a 250 GB hdd for the operating system and The 1TB will be for all the old photos and stuff I have collected on various pc over the past 12 years.

Maybe the offer will be back on tomorrow as they said on the website 'When the offer reaches 50' Whether thats for a day or offer in total I'm not sure.

Makes a change for me to be lucky.

D

crosstrainer 15:34 21 Jan 09

I got a 750GB external as a (festive word removed!) present and due to ilness it's still in it's box. I'm using Windows 7 on this machine at the moment (dual booting with XP pro) But storing all my music and photos in one place is a good idea. Currently I have them on my PVR, on another external hdd connected to my Vista Ultimate machine, and on a pile of DVD's.

I'll get round to putting them all on the new one soon (he say's) :))

Demora 15:51 21 Jan 09

One thing that does bother me about the dual boot 'XP and Vista' set up is the registry. for instance. If I need to do a system restore in xp(rare) I read somewhere about this not being possible???

Like you crosstrainer all my photos and videos are stored on various media and hdds.

I downloaded the beta for windows 7. BUT I haven't decided which pc to test it out on.

Glad you're getting better BTW.

D

crosstrainer 16:36 21 Jan 09

As long as you set up the dual boot properly, you can use XP the same way you always have for restoration. I have Acronis on my XP partiton, and it works fine....Some additional links for dual boot info.:

click here

click here

If you need a free partitioning tool:

click here

You will need to resize and then format your new partition...The above is free and easy to use.

Demora 16:54 21 Jan 09

I have Acronis DiskDirector 10 to hand and have laid out everything on the Dining room table for later tonight.

Thanks for the extra links.

D

Demora 09:31 22 Jan 09

A big thank you crosstrainer. Everything went well and have now a dual boot laptop.

Now to search for all the right updates for the drivers.

As the laptop is only 14months old. I'm not to worried about this.

Thanks again.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5