New Virus - maybe!

Pine Man 09:07 14 Jun 07

I have been sent this email by, what I believe to be, a reliable source.

' Do not open any message with an attached file called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it, It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.'

ventanas 09:17 14 Jun 07

click here

It's a hoax

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:18 14 Jun 07

click here It is a hoax...no virus would 'burn' your C drive.

G

ventanas 09:19 14 Jun 07
  Pine Man 09:28 14 Jun 07

Many thanks for your very fast response guys.

rodriguez 12:36 14 Jun 07

I remember this old chestnut going round during the last olympics, and I think it went round during the olympics before that as well. It's a hoax - but as for "burning" the hard drive, they could just mean wiping it's hard drive which some viruses could do. It's not as if a little man with a can of petrol and some matches can jump into the computer... :-D

Sethhaniel 13:10 14 Jun 07

that nothing can trash your PC ;(

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:31 14 Jun 07

MBS is not a virus nor does it 'trash' your computer and it would appear that the users agreed to it installing.

In many years of fixing computers I have never seen a virus that can delete a hard disk, make them difficult to access yes, but never delete all the contents.

G

Forum Editor 16:03 14 Jun 07

as the most destructive virus ever."

Whenever you see those words - and they're often used in these emails - you can absolutely, 100% guarantee that the mail is a hoax. Microsoft never classifies a virus, or issues a warning about one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…