New Versions Of Files Return To Old Version

kinger 21:02 24 May 08

It's been suggested to move this post to Vista forum, so here's hoping ...

I’m working on a brand new Dell PC with Vista Ultimate installed.

Recently, while working on a magazine that I publish, I was suspicious of my files not behaving normally.

I thought that I was going slightly mad but, today, it is definitely not working as expected.
The problem is that I update a file with new data and can print it out or upload it to a web site etc. BUT, when I open the file again, it’s the OLD version of the file.... that is, until I close it and reopen it after going through the folders to find it again and it’ll be the NEW version.

This now keeps happening. Windows Vista seems to get confused as to which version of the file to show.

Today, I altered a Word file and rewrote most of it, closed it, then on reopening the file, all my alterations had disappeared and it was still the old version.

I restarted the computer and the NEW version now opened.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?
It’s almost as if Vista filing system is totally confused. I know I am.

BurrWalnut 08:46 25 May 08

It may have something to do with Shadow Copying. You could turn off system restore but I suggest you make an offline backup of your files first. Once you have offline copies, ‘play around’ with the shadow copies, i.e. right-click a file and ‘Revert…….’. It might help to make up a small, unimportant file, alter it, revert to it, etc.

When a file is altered, the original version is stored as part of Vista's 'Shadow Copy' (part of System Restore but not present in the Home versions). Shadow copying is stored in System Volume Information (hidden folder) but you will have great difficulty identifying a specific file. If you don't have Shadow Copying switched on, the 'Revert to previous versions' may well be present as a selection but it will not find anything.

You have to turn on System Restore, here's a little explanation of Shadow Copying
click here

kinger 15:19 26 May 08

thanks BurrWalnut, I will try this.

kinger 15:36 26 May 08

Protection IS switched on BurrWalnut but Shadow Copy can't find previous version of test file that I made. So something does seem to be wrong here somewhere.

I used an MS Word file and saved it.

I altered the text and saved it under same name.

I searched for previous version of file using Shadown Copy but it found nothing.

kinger 15:41 26 May 08

OK, Just to update.

I have now made FOUR different verisons of the same file.

Shadow Copy has found ONE version and offers to replace the last version with the second but it can't see the other copies I made. Interesting.

BurrWalnut 15:46 26 May 08

I’m guessing but it’s possible that you don’t have sufficient space for n copies!

To change the amount of space, open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’.

To display the current parameters type (or copy and paste) “vssadmin list shadowstorage” (not the quotes but the spaces) and press Enter.

To change the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste) “vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=3GB” (not the quotes but the spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C to 3GB.

You may find that all the restore points have been removed after resizing, so make sure the computer is behaving itself before reducing the space allocation. Also, make a manual restore point immediately after resizing.

kinger 19:21 29 May 08

Ok BurrWalnut, will give that a try.

Thank you

kinger 14:48 07 Jun 08

It seems to have cleared the problem.

I'll be 'noticing' it over the next few days if it hasn't.

Thanks for the posts.

K!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…