New PC -erase Vista and load XP?

Jen7777 04:36 21 Dec 08

I need to get a new laptop with more memory and speed, but you cannot find one with a decent screen size that is not preloaded with Vista.

I have some software that may not be compatible with Vista, but do not want to switch. I also have peripherals that are old, but work very well and I have no desire to replace them at this time.

Is there any reason I cannot simply erase the hard drive on the new laptop and install the XP software I was using on my old P4?

100andthirty 07:17 21 Dec 08

There are lots of reasons that you might have problems.

1) is your XP disc a retail copy? if it came with a PC or is an OEM, it's effectively locked to the machine it was first installed on

2) you need to get all the drivers for the new computer which means that you need to find out what the motherboard and all other peripherals are.

why not research the software you think might not work and see if it can work either natively or in compatibility mode

Jen7777 00:19 22 Dec 08

Thanks - I tried to think of everything - how did I miss the drivers?

I sure wish you could build your own laptop the way you used to be able to do with desktops. I guess even they are difficult to do now.

Think I'm going to look for a refurbished machine that comes with XP -one that was top of the line a couple of years ago will beat mine hands down.

Rob_08 00:39 22 Dec 08

I looked high and low for a new XP based laptop for you but all i could find were Vista based ones. I tried trusty Novatech but even those couldnt be modified . Its funny but if you wanted a new desktop PC theres lots with XP. And I dont blame you for not wanting to be bothered with Vista, so yes i think your best bet would be to find a nice fast refurbished job from a year or so back.
Good luck.

Sea Urchin 12:57 22 Dec 08

This site will provide laptops with XP - you specify your own system requirements. There has been a certain amount of negative hype on this forum about this company, but I have had a PC and laptop from them and found them to be excellent in all respects

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac