New partition on Windows 7 PC - is it possible?

tallboy 12:09 PM 28 Nov 13

I have a Dell Studio PC running 64-bit Windows 7. Following some recent problems surrounding Windows Updates downloading (failure) I have had to have a repair install on it. Even after that, I had to do a separate repair install on Windows Live mail to make WLM work, resulting in the deletion of all the messages. (Fortunately, backed up elsewhere.)

Like all off-the-shelf PCs it was delivered with everything on the C: drive. To prevent re-occurrences of deleting emails again, I want to create a separate partition. (There plenty of room on the disk to do it.) Is it safe to create a partition on a disk that already has programs / data on it with loosing anything and ending up with a non-working PC again?

I've set up partitions on new, recently-formatted disks before, but not on one that is already in use. Any advice / pointers would be most welcome.

xania 12:18 PM 28 Nov 13

Whenever I get a new laptop (3 recently) after having taken the backup of the restore drive onto DVD, the first thing I always do is partition the hard disk. I then have a separate partition for all my work. It seems to me that the smaller partitions are easier and quicker to manage. So the short answer is YES

Jollyjohn 13:59 PM 28 Nov 13

Google for PartedMagic or GParted - both linux based partitioning tools Download and burn to cd boot from and use to partition HDD

Gparted - accept defaults as it boots - usually works - basic graphic and straight forward controls to Resize partitions.

PartedMagic - can do more than just partition drives - cd ejects when ready to use.

When you are ready to resize C partition I would go approx 1/3 as C and 2/3 as Data

Remember to create a new partition in the Unallocated space after resizing and format it as NTFS

Once done it is possible to move "My Documents" folders to the new partition and I would recomend this.

tallboy 18:42 PM 28 Nov 13

Thanks for the quick replies xania & jollyjohn. I'm glad to know that I should be 'safe' to partition the disk. I'll give PartedMagic a try.

tallboy 17:38 PM 30 Nov 13

I purchased the current virus-free version of PartedMagic for less that a fiver (watch out for earlier free version which according to the author's website can cause trouble)ran it and 'hey presto' I now have a shiny new partition. And everything still works OK on the C: drive.

Thanks for the recommendation Jollyjohn!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X