New laptop and uninstalling McAfee

ray27 12:53 PM 24 Jan 12

I have just got a Sony Laptop and on it was McAfee which expires next month so what I would like to know is if I delete it and install Microsoft security essential will this work? cheers Ray

difarn 13:01 PM 24 Jan 12

This should be just fine if you don't want to pay for an anti-virus programme. Another recommended free download is AVG free. If after you have uninstalled McAfee you find that the Security Centre is still there, read this article that explains how to get rid of it.

ray27 14:18 PM 24 Jan 12

Right I have taken off the Macfee but when I go to the Microsoft securities essential sit and click on the download button all I get is a large arrow on the left hand side which just goes down the page and disappears how do I find out what system I am on 32 bit or 64bit

difarn 14:25 PM 24 Jan 12

start - right click on Computer - Properties - You will see it under System

difarn 14:27 PM 24 Jan 12

On Microsoft Securities Essentials to the left of the blue "free download" this is where you need to click on the arrow when you have found out whether you have a 32 or 64 bit system -then click download.

ray27 14:53 PM 24 Jan 12

Thanks for the help I have managed to download and install essentials OK but this is a Sony Machine VAIO and on the desk top at the top there is a cute drop down menu called VAIO Gateway and in it is an icon marked MaCFee online back up I dont suppose you can tell me how I delete this

ray27 15:11 PM 24 Jan 12

Many thanks for all your help Difarn I managed to work the last one out myself you just have tho drag it out and dump it on the desk top and it disappears everything you suggested worked fine many thanks once again Ray

difarn 15:16 PM 24 Jan 12

You're very welcome - glad it's sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued