new to defender

iqs 13:13 23 Jan 08

Hello,I am trying to use defender to disable programs that start up when the Pc is switched on.

There are programs that are not classified.When I right click on the entry,it states its a start up type,but the disable option is not highlighted.Any help please.Cheers

anskyber 14:41 23 Jan 08

I have found that the disable function will only work with the classified programs and then not all.

The best way to deal with others is to use the simple msconfig, here's the Vista version guide click here

After that Vista will keep telling you there are blocked start up programs and this is how you deal with that click here

Be very careful about what you stop to ensure its not a key windows component.

iqs 16:35 23 Jan 08

anskyber,thank you for the help and links.I'm off to college now,will read the msconfig guide tonight.Hopefully without any issues.Once again thanks,Mike

skidzy 21:05 23 Jan 08

Just another Start Manager and more,excellent free piece of software;

Winpatrol click here

iqs 21:56 23 Jan 08

skidzy,will this software work with defender installed?.Why I ask,I installed StartUp Inspector,but experienced problems with defender popup messages everytime I stopped a program.Cheers

skidzy 22:06 23 Jan 08

" will this software work with defender installed " ?

Yes should do,i run Winpatrol on all my machines from xp to Vista HP.

To be honest,i dont even touch Defender,i just leave it alone working in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…