New Computer old HDD

davecabezo 22:33 25 Jul 13

Hi,

My existing computer is on it's last legs and Iv'e ordered a new one but I've just realised that under normal circumstances Windows 7 will only install on 1 computer. However I'm actually going to install my existing HDD with all of my Files, windows 7 operating system etc. Will it work or will windows recognise that it's on a different computer ??

Regards,

Dave

lotvic 22:41 25 Jul 13

"will windows recognise that it's on a different computer" err.... yes, because the motherboard and hardware will be different and it will have the wrong drivers.

Is your W7 OEM or Retail or Upgrade? Do you have the disk?

davecabezo 11:20 26 Jul 13

Yes I have the disc but wont it wipe out all my programs etc or will what your suggesting only "repair"

Regards,

Dave

davecabezo 11:21 26 Jul 13

Oh and BTW it's OEM

Dave

Press Man 11:35 26 Jul 13

I think you will find that it will recognise it is a different PC, if infact it "boots up". You will have a different motherboard and graphics card, which your old HDD will not have the correct drivers for? If this is the case you will have to re-load windows and your programs. Make sure you have backed up all/any files you need before making any changes.

lotvic 13:05 26 Jul 13

AFAIK an OEM is tied to the first motherboard it is installed on and cannot be used on a different motherboard as it will not pass activation and validation.

There are two types of OEM, one is pre-installed by manufacturer and the other can be bought by system builders (this one can be purchased by joe public)

Sometimes you can activate after install to a different motherboard if you telephone activate and tell Microsoft that you have had a motherboard failure and have had to replace the motherboard.

lotvic 13:17 26 Jul 13

There are some interesting comments worth reading on thread on answers.microsoft.com

davecabezo 14:54 26 Jul 13

Many thanks for all your comments. It looks like I will have to wait and see when my new computer is up and running. Fingers crossed I reckon.

Regards,

dave

alanrwood 19:08 26 Jul 13

If your new computer comes with a version of Windows already installed why not install the original a a second drive for storing documents etc. Leave the active Windows on the main new drive. Of course if your new computer does not come with Windows installed then this is not possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…