networking help with new laptop

brettrr 14:39 PM 29 Jun 13

hi there have a laptop running windows 8 have a pc with xp on it They are both plugged into a router I cant get the laptop to see the PC or the printer that's connected to it. Ive tried everything on the Microsoft help website??

rdave13 19:03 PM 29 Jun 13

With XP and 8 you need to have the networking group changed to homegroup. I believe that it's called 'workgroup' in XP.That needs to be changed to homegroup as it is called in 8. Don't have password protected on. If you have Silver-light check this out, link, I know it's for 7 and XP but similar to 8. Hope that helps.

brettrr 01:02 AM 30 Jun 13

I have tried eveything in that link, i have also tried turning off the firewall on both machines, still no joy. All i want to do is be able to print from the laptop to the printer connected to the XP machine, the is no sign of the laptop connecting to the other machine / network

brettrr 07:58 AM 01 Jul 13

Spent about 6 hours yesterday, still no luck Any more help please

brettrr 08:09 AM 04 Jul 13

Anyone? help please

onthelimit1 11:35 AM 04 Jul 13
  brettrr 07:24 AM 05 Jul 13

I tried the above link When i go to the network sharing centre I do not have the XP machine showing??

Thanks

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…