Network / USB Problem

MD__ 20:01 01 Jun 10

I have a Windows 7 PC connected via a Netgear router.

Frequently i get disconnected and the Network sharing centre can't connect - i know my network is fine as i can use my Xbox and or Ipod touch.

When i try to open Netgear Smart Wizard it closes down almost instantly, its almost as if Windows has to control via the Netwrok Centre ? is this correct ?

The only way to resolve the problem is to restart and that takes about 15 mins and sometimes never ? I think these 2 faults are linked but would love some advice. PS removing and reconnecting the adapter has no impact either.

You need to uninstall and reinstall the adapter and it's software. First thing you should do is check to see if you are using the latest driver and update if necessary.

This adaptor's driver has problems with Windows XP and 2000 and has been around for two or three years. You have two potential options:

(1) Disable the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration(WZC) utility if you are running the Netgear utility. WZC attempts to check for wireless networks every few minutes and will lock the PC. Not sure how to disable it in Win 2000 but in XP you find it in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. WZC is at the bottom of the list. Right click it in the list, choose Properties, and change the "Startup Type" to "Disabled" and save your changes.
Warning to novices: DONT Change anything else under Services. You might break windows and need to reload XP.

(2) Netgear drivers have issues with Windows XP/2000 on certain computers. I believe it was with AMD processors(?). The WG311T card is based on Atheros chipsets so you can use drivers from that company. There are also drivers for Linux if you need those. Try that and see if it works.

This is where I went for the Atheros drivers a year ago. I use the version 4.2 generic driver:
ยปclick here

MD__ 21:27 01 Jun 10

Disabled the WLan configuration but the smart wizard still opened then closed immediately and i had no connection.

Will re install the netgear sowtfware and see how it goes.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…