MS Office v Open Office

dave.d 12:04 PM 08 Nov 13

I am getting in a pickle with my new Windows 8 laptop. I have MS Office Home and Student 2007 disk and product key. I was unwilling to pay MS for a 2013 version of Office when 2007 was good enough for what I need. For months I could not load 2007 because I could not get MS to accept the product key. So,I down loaded Open Office as a free alternative. However I have now found a way to get MS to accept the 2007 product key and Home and Student is now loaded on my laptop. I seem to be getting a conflict between MS Office and Open Office I.E. I can create a document in MS Office and save it, when I try to reopen the document comes up in Open Office. I had intended to leave both programs on the laptop, but should I assume MS Office and Open Office don't mix well and one should be deleted? I am Dave in Newport South Wales, apologies if the solution seems obvious but I have been struggling with this for weeks. I have documents and pictures on both programs that I do not want to loose and I now have a fear of screwing something up. Thanks for Reading.

rdave13 20:57 PM 08 Nov 13

Make Office the default if you still want OO on your PC. Personally I'd uninstall OO.

rdave13 20:59 PM 08 Nov 13

Make sure you save all docs in OO before uninstalling obviously but a reminder won't hurt.

rdave13 21:03 PM 08 Nov 13

PS, SkyDrive on the desktop also gives you a limited Office features, 7GB worth in the cloud, includes notes, word docs, power point presentation, excel workbook and survey.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites