Moving folder from one drive to another

Dirty Dick 15:05 18 Nov 14

I'm running Windows 7. I have an external hard drive that I want to move folders to. I don't want to COPY them (as in drag & drop) but I'm sure there's a way to MOVE them.

Any help appreciated

northumbria61 15:26 18 Nov 14

You could right click on your folders and use the "send to" method - then when you are sure the transfer is complete delete them from your internal hard drive

OR Read Here

alanrwood 19:56 18 Nov 14

Don't think this is allowed to another external drive. Try holding down the shift key and dragging them to the new location.

northumbria61 21:27 18 Nov 14

alanrwood - as I understand it he wants to move folders to an external drive from an internal drive in which case he can right click and "send to" - I have just done it.

lotvic 00:26 19 Nov 14

Here is the Registry Tweak that will add 'Copy To' and 'Move To' to your rightclick menu. You will then be able to browse to and choose destination folder anywhere on your system. Add Copy To / Move To on Windows 7 or Vista Right-Click Menu ClickHere

Batch 08:32 19 Nov 14

You don't need to do any of the registry hacks.

Just right click (and hold) on the source. Drag to new destination. Release right mouse button and a menu will pop up which includes Move Here. Job done.

Batch 08:36 19 Nov 14

Although, personally, I tend to copy and then delete the original (or SHIFT+Delete to avoid using the recycle bin). I suppose it's because I like to see the new copy in place before getting rid of the source.

alanrwood 10:18 19 Nov 14

There are restrictions on Moving files to an external drive. I have just tried to move a file from my main computer to the root of my NAS box and it will not allow me to do so. In some circumstances I am sure I remember that trying to Move a file actually Copies it in some circumstances. I appreciate the other solutions proposed here but wished to point out a possible problem with drag and drop in the specific circumstances mentioned by the OP. If he was not having this problem with dragging the files then why would he ask the question.

Pine Man 13:15 19 Nov 14

alanrwood

I'm not sure what you are doing but I just left clicked on a folder on my C drive and dragged it to an external drive where I dropped it. There it remained!

Am I missing something?

tullie 14:00 19 Nov 14

I must also be missing something,Idone the same as Pineman

Pine Man 16:35 19 Nov 14

It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, due to the way he has tried moving a folder the op has ended up with just a shortcut on his external drive rather than the folder itself?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017