Move Users Folder To Another Drive

tamsin 12:09 24 Oct 10

I followed the illustration in a previous posting for this subject, provided by Mike, and 'moved' my folders to D:\. am confused to see that they are now in 2 locations - ie still on the C:\. When I go to C:\ prompt and call up DIR for D:\ it tells me there are no files there, although I can see them in Explorer.
Can I just delete the folders on the C:\ or am I going to cause a problem doing this (hidden system files within the folders???). Should I only delete the actual files?
Can anyone advise me please.

GaT7 14:44 24 Oct 10

Moving Users appears a bit of a convoluted process from click here - is this the way you moved it?

Also from the above link: "The only quirk is that accessing the Users folder from the C: drive (for example) appears as C: when it's actually on D:."

Best thing to do is to manually back up C:\Users for the time being before deleting its contents. G

GaT7 15:38 24 Oct 10

That's true, so only delete the folders & files you created. G

tamsin 15:37 25 Oct 10

Thanks for advice. I am going to try this method and have read through the instructions Crossbow7 suggests. Only thing I am not sure about is (FAILED column = 0)?
Do I type that after robocopy /copyall /mir /xj E:\Users D:\Users
I will make sure I only delete the folders I have created at the end of the move.

GaT7 15:55 25 Oct 10

Why will you be trying another method when you have already done it? "I followed the illustration in a previous posting for this subject, provided by Mike, and 'moved' my folders to D:\"

If it has been done successfully, then you may be accessing files on D:, while it's only appearing to be from C: - see the 2nd paragraph of my 1st post.

That's why I suggested backing-up C:\Users. Then start deleting some files in C:\Users, while trying to access them as normal. If the deleted files are still accessible, then Mike's method would have worked. But don't take it for granted - keep deleting C:\Users contents while verifying whether you can still access the deleted files/folders. G

tamsin 10:22 26 Oct 10

Thanks Crossbow7 - I am moving in an area that I am not completely familiar with, so forgive me if I sound like a dumbo! Will back up and start deleting to see if everything is OK. Many thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…