Modem flashing red

ened 12:46 28 Nov 07

I'm not sure if this is a Vista problem or even if there is a problem.

Since installing Vista I have noticed that the left hand light on my Speedtouch modem flashes red occasionally - usually when downloading a large web-page.

Everything downloads okay and it shows as working in Device Manager, but I have never noticed it before.

Is it time to be looking for a new modem or is this a feature of Vista manifesting itself?

anskyber 13:03 28 Nov 07

I have a speedtouch and I do not have that problem. Are you connected via ethernet or USB?

ened 13:21 28 Nov 07

USB and I as I said I'm not sure it is a problem.

Under normal usage (pages like this and others) both lights are green but as soon as I start downloading something the green light which shows acticity by flashing occasionally flashes red.

anskyber 14:40 28 Nov 07

If it's the power light then that usually signals a modem issue. If things are working OK then maybe it's a case of wait and see.

The standard solution to try first is to switch off and unplug the modem for 30-40 seconds and try again.

If this is quite recent then I had a similar experience but I could not get onto the internet which you clearly can. In my case it was a local BT issue causing several modems to get "confused"

ened 15:11 28 Nov 07

Well I do have a spare modem and I have just downloaded the Vista driver for it.

As you say : I guess it is a case of wait and see, but it is a bit unnerving to keep getting red flashes out of the corner of your eye.

pk46 15:13 28 Nov 07

I have a speedtouch all 4 lights are green this includes the power light the only time i get a flashing red is if there is a problem.
You can reset the router by inserting a paper
clip into the small reset hole at the back you will then have to reinstall with your ADSL name password ect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5