Microsoft Serialized Certificate Store (*.sst) Files

LeeJames 00:05 21 Mar 14

Hello,

Today I was doing a normal disk check using CCleaner to analyse the PC. I do this every so often to remove unwanted stuff such as Temporary Internet Files and the like to keep the PC clean and then I defrag the computer once a week. I have MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

For some reason, CCleaner stalled at around 62% when it encountered some files it was analising. It seemed to take forever whilst analysing the following directory:-

C:/Users/...../AppData/LocalLow/Google/GoogleEarth/unifiedcacheleveldb_leveldb2/

I decided to halt the CCleaner function and have a look at this folder. Inside, I discovered nearly 680,000 files all with the *.sst file extension (designated as Microsoft Serialzed Certificate Store files) and each of them 85kb in size and taking up close to 55.0GB of disk space! On attempting to delete them, Windows Explorer told me that it would take 23 hours to complete the task! I do have Google Earth installed but don't really use it.

Can someone tell me what these files are and whether I can safely delete them from my PC (assuming I can)?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Lee James West Sussex UK

LeeJames 00:08 21 Mar 14

Sorry,

The directory was:-

C:/Users//AppData/LocalLow/Google/GoogleEarth/unifiedcacheleveldb_leveldb2/

Thanks

Lee

BRYNIT 13:03 21 Mar 14

After doing a little search I found someone with a similar problem from may 2013 with others having a similar problem uninstalling and reinstalling google earth seem to rectify the problem. It you do not use google earth just uninstall it and see if it rectifies the problem.

lotvic 13:10 21 Mar 14

It's the 'old' version of google earth that has that bug (filling HD up with *.sst files). You have to delete the cache and update to the latest version of GEarth.

Full details on Google Product Forums ClickHere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…