Microsoft Crookery At it's Best

jimforrest 00:50 18 Feb 15
Answered

After the failure of my HDD I need to reload Win7. I already have a Win7 iso but it's a couple of years old so I thought I'd download the latest one from Microsoft. Guess what - if you bought the comp from an OEM supplier (Currys etc) you can't download it!

You need to put your product key into the download page before it will allow it to start (fair enough), but it will not recognise 'licenses' - you have to buy Windows! (Again!)

Ruddy crooks!

robin_x 13:14 18 Feb 15
Answer

They've only done this in the last week and I'm baffled too.

I tried my OEM COA Key and a Retail Upgrade DVD Key (I bought the DVD from Tesco on release in 2009). The Upgrade key is listed as Not Recognised.

Seeing as the isos have been freely available for years it's very annoying.

Maybe it's connected to the W10 giveaway.

In the meantime, keep several copies of your iso.

2 years old doesn't matter (as long as not corrupted), there haven't been any changes since then that are standalone downloadable.

It's all done by Windows update once the new W7 is installed.

jimforrest 14:23 27 Feb 15

Update - After trying to run my Win7 (loaded from an iso) and being told by the online validation that my (OEM) key was not recognised, I tried the telephone validation route.

It's incredibly tedious (18 blocks of 5 digits to be typed in!), but very simple. The link to Microsoft must interrogate the PC because it asked for the product key and nothing else, and then at the end Win7 validated fine.

Now of course it spends hours downloading updates!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…